Aripiprazole Dosing for Bipolar Disorder
The recommended starting dose of aripiprazole
for bipolar disorder
is 15 mg once daily. Your healthcare provider may increase your dose up to 30 mg once daily, if necessary.
Aripiprazole Dosing for Major Depression
The recommended starting aripiprazole dose for treating major depression
(when used along with an antidepressant
) in adults is 2 mg to 5 mg once daily. The effective dose is usually aripiprazole 5 to 10 mg once daily. Your healthcare provider should not increase your aripiprazole dose more frequently than once a week. The maximum aripiprazole dosage for this use is 15 mg once daily.
Aripiprazole Dosage for Autism
The recommended starting dose of aripiprazole for autism
disorder in children age 6 through 17 years old is 2 mg once daily. If necessary to control the irritability symptoms, your child's healthcare provider may increase the dose gradually up to 15 mg once daily.
General Information on Dosing With Aripiprazole
Some considerations for people taking aripiprazole include:
- Aripiprazole comes in tablet form. It is usually taken by mouth once a day.
- It does not matter if you take aripiprazole with or without food. If the drug bothers your stomach, try taking it with food.
- A liquid form of aripiprazole is available for those who have difficulty swallowing tablets.
- Aripiprazole is also available in tablets that are meant to dissolve rapidly in the mouth. These tablets are called Abilify Discmelt® tablets. They do not need to be taken with water. Carefully remove Abilify Discmelt tablets by peeling pack the foil (not pushing the tablet), as they are delicate and are easily broken. Do not cut or split Abilify Discmelt tablets.
- Your healthcare provider may need to adjust your aripiprazole dosage if you are taking certain medications that interact with aripiprazole (see Drug Interactions With Aripiprazole).
- Aripiprazole should be taken at the same time each day to maintain even levels of the drug in your blood.
- For aripiprazole to work properly, it must be taken as prescribed. The medication will not work if you stop taking it.
- If you are unsure about anything related to your dosage or aripiprazole dosing in general, please talk with your doctor, nurse, or pharmacist. Do not stop taking aripiprazole without first discussing it with your healthcare provider (see Abilify Withdrawal).