Some general considerations for when and how to take aripiprazole include the following:
- The medication comes in tablet form. It is usually taken by mouth once a day.
- You can take aripiprazole with or without food. If the medication bothers your stomach, try taking it with food.
- A liquid form is available for those who have difficulty swallowing tablets.
- Aripiprazole is also available in tablets that are meant to dissolve rapidly in the mouth. These tablets are called Abilify Discmelt® tablets. They do not need to be taken with water. Carefully remove the tablets by peeling pack the foil (not pushing the tablet), as they are delicate and are easily broken. Do not cut or split Abilify Discmelt tablets.
- The medication should be taken at the same time each day to maintain an even level in your blood.
- For aripiprazole to work properly, it must be taken as prescribed. The medication will not work if you stop taking it.
The dose of aripiprazole your healthcare provider recommends will vary, depending on a number of factors, including:
- The medical condition being treated
- Your age
- The severity of your condition
- Other medical conditions you may have
- Other medications you may be taking.
As always, do not adjust your dose unless your healthcare provider specifically instructs you to do so.
(Click Aripiprazole Dosing for more information.)