Precautions and Warnings With Clozapine
There are several precautions and warnings with clozapine to be aware of before taking it. These include the risk of developing a life-threatening condition involving very low levels of white blood cells, the danger of developing a life-threatening inflammation of the heart, and the potential risk of seizures. Precautions and warnings with clozapine also extend to those who have uncontrolled epilepsy or an intestinal blockage.
You should talk with your healthcare provider prior to taking clozapine (Clozaril®, FazaClo®) if you have:
- An irregular heart rhythm (arrhythmia)
- Bone marrow problems or low blood cell counts
- Liver disease, including liver failure or cirrhosis
- An enlarged prostate
- An electrolyte imbalance
- Alzheimer's disease or other forms of dementia
- Low blood pressure (orthostatic hypotension)
- An upcoming surgery
- Heart disease, congestive heart failure (CHF), or other heart problems
- Any allergies, including allergies to food, dyes, or preservatives.
Also let your healthcare provider know if you:
- Are pregnant or thinking of becoming pregnant
- Are breastfeeding
- Drink alcohol.
You should also be sure to tell your healthcare provider about all of the medicines you take, including prescription and non-prescription medicines, vitamins, and herbal supplements.