Precautions and Warnings With Clozapine
There are several precautions and warnings with clozapine to be aware of before taking it. These include the risk of developing a life-threatening condition involving very low levels of white blood cells, the danger of developing a life-threatening inflammation of the heart, and the potential risk of seizures. Precautions and warnings with clozapine also extend to those who have uncontrolled epilepsy or an intestinal blockage.
Clozapine: What Should I Tell My Healthcare Provider?You should talk with your healthcare provider prior to taking clozapine (Clozaril®, FazaClo®) if you have:
- An irregular heart rhythm (arrhythmia)
- Bone marrow problems or low blood cell counts
- Liver disease, including liver failure or cirrhosis
- An enlarged prostate
- An electrolyte imbalance
- Alzheimer's disease or other forms of dementia
- Low blood pressure (orthostatic hypotension)
- An upcoming surgery
- Heart disease, congestive heart failure (CHF), or other heart problems
- Any allergies, including allergies to food, dyes, or preservatives.
Also, let your healthcare provider know if you:
- Are pregnant or thinking of becoming pregnant
- Are breastfeeding
- Drink alcohol.
You should also be sure to tell your healthcare provider about all of the medicines you take, including prescription and non-prescription medicines, vitamins, and herbal supplements.