When and How to Take ItThe following are some general considerations for when and how to take fluphenazine:
- The medication comes in tablet form. It is usually taken by mouth two or three times a day.
- You can take fluphenazine with or without food. If the medication bothers your stomach, try taking it with food.
- A liquid form is available for those who have difficulty swallowing tablets.
- Fluphenazine is also available in injectable forms, including a short-acting form (given several times per day) and a long-acting form (given just once a month).
- The medication should be taken at the same time(s) each day to maintain an even level in your blood.
- For fluphenazine to work properly, it must be taken as prescribed. The medication will not work if you stop taking it.
Dosing InformationThe dose of fluphenazine your healthcare provider recommends will vary, depending on a number of factors, including:
- The severity of your condition
- Other medical conditions you may have
- Other medications you may currently be taking.
As always, do not adjust your dose unless your healthcare provider specifically instructs you to do so.
(Click Fluphenazine Dosing for more information.)