Haldol for Schizophrenia
Haldol® (haloperidol) is a prescription medicine approved for treating various conditions, including mental illnesses and behavioral problems. Healthcare providers often prescribe this product for schizophrenia treatment.
Schizophrenia is one of the most confusing and disabling mental illnesses. It is a group of mental disorders that involve abnormal thinking. Although the causes of schizophrenia are not fully understood, it is currently thought that genetics and environmental factors play an important role in developing the illness. Depending on the type of schizophrenia (see Types of Schizophrenia), symptoms may include the following:
- Thought disorders
- Disorders of movement
- Flat affect (immobile facial expression, monotonous voice)
- Lack of pleasure in everyday life
- A diminished ability to initiate and sustain planned activity
- Speaking infrequently, even when forced to interact
- Poor executive functioning (the ability to absorb and interpret information and make decisions based on that information)
- An inability to stay focused
- Problems with working memory (the ability to keep recently learned information in mind and use it right away).
Although psychotherapy may be helpful, medication is often essential to the treatment of schizophrenia; Haldol is a drug that can help improve the symptoms of this illness.
(Click Haldol Uses to learn more about this topic, including information on other approved uses for the medication and whether this drug is suitable for children.)