When and How to Take the DrugThe following are some general considerations for when and how to take Haldol:
- The tablet and liquid forms of Haldol are usually taken by mouth two or three times a day.
- You can take Haldol with or without food. If the medication bothers your stomach, try taking it with food.
- The liquid form may be better for those who have difficulty swallowing tablets.
- Haldol is also available in injectable forms, including a short-acting form (given several times per day) and a long-acting form (given just once a month).
- Haldol should be taken at the same time(s) each day to maintain an even level in your blood.
- For the medication to work properly, it must be taken as prescribed. Haldol will not work if you stop taking it.
Dosing InformationThe dose of Haldol your healthcare provider recommends will vary, depending on a number of factors, including:
- The medical condition being treated
- Your age and weight
- The severity of your condition
- Other medical conditions you may have
- Other medications you may be currently taking.
As always, do not adjust your dose unless your healthcare provider specifically instructs you to do so.
(Click Haldol Dosage for more information.)