Invega Sustenna Overdose
If you believe you have received too much Invega Sustenna (paliperidone palmitate), seek immediate medical care. An overdose drug is unlikely, however, as the medication is administered by a healthcare provider. Because Invega Sustenna cannot be removed from the body after the injection is given, treatment in the case of an overdose would likely involve supportive care.
Can You Receive Too Much Invega Sustenna?Invega® Sustenna® (paliperidone palmitate) is a prescription atypical antipsychotic medication. As with most medications, it is possible to use too much Invega Sustenna. The symptoms of an overdose may vary, however, depending on the Invega Sustenna dosage and whether it was given with any other medications or substances.
Symptoms of an OverdoseThere are no reports of an overdose with this medication. Because Invega Sustenna is injected by a healthcare provider, an overdose is unlikely. However, an overdose could occur if the wrong dosage is given, or if the medication is combined with oral forms of paliperidone (the active ingredient in Invega Sustenna).
Based on reports of an overdose with oral paliperidone (Invega®), symptoms of an overdose may include but are not limited to:
- Unusual body movements, such as:
- Muscle rigidity or contractions
- Unsteadiness when walking
- A feeling of internal restlessness
- Increased heart rate
- Low blood pressure (hypotension)
- An irregular heart rhythm (arrhythmia).
Treatment for an Invega Sustenna OverdoseThere is no way to remove Invega Sustenna from the body. Therefore, treatment will mostly involve supportive care, which consists of treating symptoms that occur as a result of the overdose. Examples of supportive care for an Invega Sustenna overdose may include:
- Monitoring the electrical activity of the heart with an electrocardiogram (ECG) to check for heart arrhythmias
- Administering fluids through an intravenous (IV) line
- Using medications to treat seizures, arrhythmias, movement symptoms, or other symptoms if needed.
It is important that you seek medical attention immediately if you believe that you or someone else may have overdosed on this medication.