Schizophrenia Home > Aripiprazole Side Effects
Anxiety, insomnia, and headaches are some of the most common side effects reported with aripiprazole. A few less common side effects include hair loss, acne, and eczema. In most cases, side effects of this drug are minor and don't require medical attention. However, some problems are more serious and should be reported to a healthcare provider, including high blood pressure, suicidal thoughts, and rapid weight gain.
As with any medicine, there are possible side effects with aripiprazole (Abilify®). However, not everyone who takes the medication will experience side effects. In fact, most people tolerate aripiprazole well. When side effects do occur, in most cases they are minor and either require no treatment or can easily be treated by you or your healthcare provider.
(This article covers many, but not all, of the possible side effects with aripiprazole. Your healthcare provider can discuss a more complete list of aripiprazole side effects with you.)
There are a number of side effects with aripiprazole that you should report to your healthcare provider. Although most of these side effects are quite rare, a few may be relatively common. Serious side effects include but are not limited to:
- Signs of diabetes, such as high blood sugar, increased thirst, frequent urination, and/or extreme hunger (see Abilify and Diabetes)
- Large or rapid weight gain
- Suicidal thoughts
- High blood pressure (hypertension)
- Dizziness or fainting when going from a sitting or lying-down position to standing
- Feelings of internal restless or jitteriness
- Any abnormal muscle movements (these abnormal movements can become permanent if aripiprazole is not stopped quickly)
- A painful erection of the penis that does not go away (priapism)
- Signs or symptoms of neuroleptic malignant syndrome, which can include:
- A high fever
- Stiff muscles
- Irregular pulse or blood pressure
- An increased heart rate (tachycardia)
- Irregular heart rhythms (arrhythmias)
- Signs of an allergic reaction, including unexplained rash, hives, itching, unexplained swelling, wheezing, or difficulty breathing or swallowing.