Schizophrenia Home > Fanapt Uses
Fanapt has been approved to treat schizophrenia in adults. Although the drug has only been studied thoroughly for acute (short-term) treatment of schizophrenia, it is recommended that people who respond well to this medication continue to take it long-term in order to receive continued benefit. Fanapt works by blocking or lessening the effects of certain brain chemicals. At this time, there are no off-label uses of Fanapt.
What Is Fanapt Used For?Fanapt® (iloperidone) is a prescription antipsychotic medication. Specifically, it is approved for treating schizophrenia.
Schizophrenia is one of the most confusing and disabling mental illnesses. Schizophrenia is a group of mental disorders that involve abnormal thinking. Although the causes of schizophrenia are not fully understood, it is currently thought that genetics and environmental factors play an important role in developing the illness. Depending on the type of schizophrenia (see Types of Schizophrenia), symptoms may include the following:
- Flat affect (immobile facial expression, monotonous voice)
- Lack of pleasure in everyday life
- A diminished ability to initiate and sustain planned activity
- Speaking infrequently, even when forced to interact
- Thought disorders
- Disorders of movement
- Poor executive functioning (the ability to absorb and interpret information and make decisions based on that information)
- An inability to stay focused
- Problems with working memory (the ability to keep recently-learned information in mind and use it right away).
Although psychotherapy may be helpful for schizophrenia (see Psychosocial Therapy for Schizophrenics), medication is often essential to schizophrenia treatment. Fanapt can help improve the symptoms of schizophrenia. Although the medicine has only been thoroughly studied for acute (short-term) treatment of schizophrenia, it is recommended that people who respond well to this medication continue to take it over the long term in order to receive continued benefit.