Schizophrenia Home > Fanapt Warnings and Precautions
Some warnings and precautions with Fanapt relate to things such as potential drug interactions, the safety of taking Fanapt while nursing or pregnant, and the risk of potentially dangerous side effects. Also, you may not be able to safely take Fanapt if you have certain medical conditions, such as diabetes, epilepsy, or kidney disease.
What Should I Tell My Healthcare Provider Before Taking Fanapt?You should talk with your healthcare provider prior to taking Fanapt® (iloperidone) if you have:
- A narrowing of the gastrointestinal tract (such as a stricture)
- Kidney disease, including kidney failure (renal failure)
- Alzheimer's disease or other forms of dementia
- Low blood pressure (orthostatic hypotension)
- An irregular heart rhythm (arrhythmia)
- An electrolyte imbalance
- A slow heart rate (bradycardia)
- Heart disease, congestive heart failure (CHF), or other heart problems
- Any allergies, including allergies to foods, dyes, or preservatives.
Also, let your healthcare provider know if you:
- Are pregnant or thinking of becoming pregnant
- Are breastfeeding
- Drink alcohol.
You should also make sure to tell your healthcare provider about any other medicines you are taking, including prescription and non-prescription medicines, vitamins, and herbal supplements.