Schizophrenia Home > Fluphenazine Dosing
The fluphenazine dosing guidelines that your healthcare provider will follow depend on the severity of your condition, existing medical conditions, and other medications you are taking. The recommended oral dose ranges from 2.5 mg to 10 mg per day (split up into smaller doses). The injectable dosage will vary, based on if the short-acting fluphenazine dose or long-acting fluphenazine version is being used.
An Introduction to Fluphenazine DosingThe dose of fluphenazine (Prolixin®) that your healthcare provider recommends will vary, depending on a number of factors, including:
- The severity of your condition
- Other medical conditions you may have
- Other medications you may currently be taking.
Oral Fluphenazine DosingThe recommended dose when starting the drug is fluphenazine 2.5 mg to 10 mg total per day (split up into two or three smaller doses). Your healthcare provider may increase your fluphenazine dose as necessary to control your symptoms, or may attempt to decrease your dose once your symptoms are under control. For elderly people, the starting dose is lower: fluphenazine 1 mg to 2.5 mg total per day.
Injectable Fluphenazine DosingThe dose of injectable fluphenazine that is prescribed can vary greatly from person to person, depending on many different factors. The short-acting version is given several times a day (usually used temporarily to control very severe symptoms), while the long-acting version is given less frequently, often just once a month.
General Information on Fluphenazine DosingSome considerations for people taking fluphenazine include the following:
- The medication comes in tablet form. It is usually taken by mouth two or three times a day.
- You can take fluphenazine with or without food. If the medication bothers your stomach, try taking it with food.
- A liquid form of fluphenazine is available for those who have difficulty swallowing tablets.
- The medication is also available in injectable forms, including a short-acting form (given several times per day) and a long-acting form (given just once a month).
- Fluphenazine should be taken at the same time(s) each day to maintain an even level in your blood.
- For fluphenazine to work properly, it must be taken as prescribed. The medication will not work if you stop taking it.
- If you are unsure about anything related to your dosage or fluphenazine dosing in general, talk with your doctor, nurse, or pharmacist. Do not stop taking the drug without first discussing it with your healthcare provider (see Prolixin Withdrawal).