Schizophrenia Home > Invega Sustenna Side Effects
People receiving Invega Sustenna may experience reactions to the drug. While most of these problems tend to be minor, contact your healthcare provider immediately if you develop seizures, thoughts of suicide, or other potentially serious reactions. Some of the most commons side effects of Invega Sustenna include headaches, drowsiness, and dizziness.
An Introduction to Invega Sustenna Side EffectsJust like any medicine, Invega® Sustenna® (paliperidone palmitate) can cause side effects. However, not everyone who receives the medication will experience problems. In fact, most people tolerate it quite well. If side effects do occur, in most cases, they are minor and either require no treatment or are treated easily by you or your healthcare provider.
(This article covers many, but not all, of the possible side effects with Invega Sustenna. Your healthcare provider can discuss a more complete list with you.)
Common Side Effects of Invega SustennaInvega Sustenna has been studied extensively in clinical trials. In these studies, the reactions that occurred in a group of people who received Invega Sustenna were documented and compared to the side effects that occurred in a similar group of people who were given a placebo (an injection that did not contain any active ingredients). As a result, it was possible to see what side effects occurred, how often they appeared, and how they compared to the placebo.
In these studies, the most common Invega Sustenna side effects included:
- Headaches -- in up to 15 percent of people
- Insomnia -- up to 15 percent
- Skin reactions at the injection site, such as pain, redness, and swelling -- up to 10 percent
- Agitation -- up to 10 percent
- Anxiety -- up to 8 percent
- Drowsiness -- up to 7 percent
- Feelings of inner restlessness -- up to 6 percent
- Dizziness -- up to 6 percent
- Extrapyramidal symptoms (abnormal muscle movements) -- up to 5 percent.
Other common side effects, occurring in 2 percent to 5 percent of people, included:
- Abdominal (stomach) pain and discomfort
- Common cold symptoms, such as a stuffy or runny nose and a sore throat
- Upper respiratory tract infections
- Urinary tract infection (UTI)
- Weight gain
- Dry mouth
- Back pain
- Arm and leg pain
- Weakness or lack of energy
- Skin cuts
- Increase in liver enzymes
- Muscle aches
- Muscle and joint stiffness
- Thoughts of suicide
- Increased blood pressure.