Schizophrenia Home > Invega Side Effects
Headaches, weight gain, and drowsiness are some of the most common side effects seen in people taking Invega. Side effects of Invega are mostly minor and either don't require treatment or can easily be treated. However, there are a number of more serious Invega side effects that you should report to your healthcare provider. These serious side effects can include severe constipation, anxiety, and high blood pressure.
As with any medicine, there are possible side effects with Invega® (paliperidone). However, not everyone who takes the medication will experience side effects. In fact, most people tolerate Invega well. When side effects do occur, in most cases they are minor and either require no treatment or can easily be treated by you or your healthcare provider.
(This article covers many, but not all, of the possible side effects with Invega. Your healthcare provider can discuss a more complete list of Invega side effects with you.)
Invega has been studied thoroughly in clinical trials. In these studies, the side effects that occur in a group of people taking the drug are documented and are then compared to side effects that occur in another group of people not taking the medicine. This way, it is possible to see what side effects occur, how often they appear, and how they compare to the group not taking the medicine.
In these studies, the most common Invega side effects included:
- Drowsiness -- in up to 26 percent of people
- Extrapyramidal symptoms (see the "Invega Side Effects to Report" section that follows for more information) -- up to 23 percent
- Headaches -- up to 15 percent
- A rapid heart rate (tachycardia) -- up to 14 percent
- Weight gain -- up to 13 percent (see Invega and Weight Gain)
- Skin reactions at the injection site (for the injectable form) -- up to 10 percent
- Anxiety -- up to 9 percent
- Nausea -- up to 8 percent
- Dizziness -- up to 6 percent
- Indigestion or heartburn -- up to 6 percent
- Increased saliva production -- up to 6 percent
- Absent menstrual periods -- up to 6 percent.
Some other common Invega side effects (occurring in 2 percent to 5 percent of people) included:
- Muscle tension or pain
- Shakiness (tremors)
- Abdominal pain (stomach pain)
- Dry mouth (see Invega and Dry Mouth)
- Blurred vision
- A fever
- Back pain
- Sore throat and runny or stuffy nose
- Upper respiratory tract infection (such as the common cold)
- Appetite changes (both increased and decreased)
- Sleep problems
- Swollen tongue or tongue paralysis
- General weakness
- Leaky breasts
- Unexplained breast enlargement.