Schizophrenia Home > Loxapine Inhalation Powder Dosage
For treating agitation with loxapine inhalation powder, dosing is standard for everyone -- 10 mg of the powder inhaled every 24 hours as needed. Your healthcare provider will show you the correct way to use the inhaler. You can take this medicine with food or on an empty stomach.
There is only one standard recommended dosage of loxapine inhalation powder (Adasuve™), regardless of your age or weight. As is always the case, do not adjust your dosage unless your healthcare provider specifically tells you to do so.
The usual recommended dosage of loxapine inhalation powder for treating acute agitation is 10 mg every 24 hours (once a day) as needed. This drug comes as a single-use, disposable inhaler.
When it is time for your dose, your healthcare provider will remove a plastic tab from the back of the device to turn it on. When the device is ready for use, you will be instructed to do the following:
- Hold the device away from your mouth, and breathe out fully to empty your lungs
- Put the mouthpiece of the inhaler between your lips, close your lips, and inhale with a steady, deep breath
- Remove the inhaler from your lips when the green light on the inhaler turns off, indicating the dose has been delivered
- Hold your breath for as long as you can, but only for up to 10 seconds.
Some considerations to keep in mind during treatment with loxapine inhalation powder include the following:
- This medication comes in the form of a powder that is inhaled by mouth. It is given as a single dose every 24 hours, as needed.
- Loxapine inhalation powder is only given by a healthcare provider. He or she will show you the correct way to use it right before your dose.
- You can take loxapine inhalation powder with food or on an empty stomach.
- Loxapine inhalation powder is supplied in a single-use inhaler. The inhaler may become warm during use. It may also produce a flash of light and clicking sounds while you are using it. This is normal and expected.
- For the medication to work properly, it must be taken as prescribed. Carefully follow your healthcare provider's instructions for properly inhaling this medication.
- If you are unsure about anything related to your dosage, please talk with your healthcare provider, nurse, or pharmacist.