Schizophrenia Home > Seroquel XR and Dry Mouth
A dry mouth is a possible side effect of Seroquel XR. However, there are several things you can try, such as drinking water or sugarless drinks often, avoiding alcohol and caffeine, and using a humidifier at night. If you are taking Seroquel XR and dry mouth continues to be a problem, be sure to consult your healthcare provider. He or she may recommend artificial saliva or may adjust or switch your medication.
Does Seroquel XR Cause a Dry Mouth?Seroquel XR® (quetiapine XR) is a prescription medicine used to treat schizophrenia or bipolar disorder. Like all medications, it can cause side effects. One of these possible Seroquel XR side effects is a dry mouth. In previous clinical studies, up to 40 percent of people taking Seroquel XR reported experiencing a dry mouth.
Suggestions for Seroquel XR and Dry MouthIf you are taking Seroquel XR and dry mouth becomes a problem, there are several different things that you can try. Some of these suggestions include:
- Chewing sugarless gum or sucking on sugarless hard candy to stimulate saliva flow; cinnamon- or mint-flavored candies are good choices.
- Avoiding drinks with caffeine, such as coffee, tea, and some sodas. Caffeine can dry out the mouth.
- Sipping water or sugarless drinks often.
- Sipping water or sugarless drinks during meals. This will make chewing and swallowing easier. It may also improve the taste of food.
- Avoiding tobacco or alcohol. They dry out the mouth.
- Using a humidifier at night.
- Being aware that spicy or salty foods may cause pain in a dry mouth.
If you have a dry mouth while taking Seroquel XR and the suggestions above do not help, make sure to talk with your healthcare provider. There is treatment that he or she may be able to recommend, such as artificial saliva. Also, depending on the severity of your dry mouth, he or she may also recommend that you adjust your Seroquel XR dosage or try another schizophrenia medication.