Schizophrenia Home > Stelazine and Dry Mouth
Many side effects are possible with Stelazine, and dry mouth appears to be one of them. To relieve this, you can try sipping water or sugarless drinks often, avoiding drinks with caffeine, and using a humidifier at night. If you continue to experience dry mouth with Stelazine, ask your healthcare provider about other recommendations for relief, such as artificial saliva.
Does Stelazine Cause a Dry Mouth?Stelazine® (trifluoperazine hydrochloride) is a prescription medicine used to treat schizophrenia and anxiety. Like other medicines, it can cause side effects. One of these possible Stelazine side effects is a dry mouth.
Stelazine and Dry Mouth: SuggestionsIf you are taking Stelazine and dry mouth becomes a problem, there are a number of things that you can do. Some of these suggestions include:
- Sip water or sugarless drinks often.
- Sip water or sugarless drinks during meals. This will make chewing and swallowing easier. It may also improve the taste of food.
- Avoid drinks with caffeine, such as coffee, tea, and some sodas. Caffeine can dry out the mouth.
- Avoid tobacco or alcohol. They dry out the mouth.
- Use a humidifier at night.
- Be aware that spicy or salty foods may cause pain in a dry mouth.
- Chew sugarless gum or suck on sugarless hard candy to stimulate saliva flow; cinnamon- or mint-flavored candies are good choices.