Schizophrenia Home > Stelazine Uses
Stelazine Uses for AnxietyMost people experience feelings of anxiety before an important event, such as a big exam, business presentation, or first date. Anxiety disorders, however, are illnesses that load people's lives with overwhelming anxiety and fear that are chronic and unremitting, and that can grow progressively worse.
Depending on the type of anxiety, a person can experience several possible anxiety symptoms, including:
- Feeling shaky, jittery, or nervous
- Feeling tense, fearful, or apprehensive
- Avoiding certain places or activities because of fear
- A pounding or racing heart
- Trouble catching your breath when nervous
- Unjustified sweating or trembling
- A knot in your stomach
- A lump in your throat
- Finding yourself pacing
- Being afraid to close your eyes at night for fear that you may die in your sleep
- Fear of losing control or going crazy
- Fear of dying.
- Anxiety medications
- Specific types of psychotherapy (sometimes called "talk therapy").
Stelazine is approved for short-term treatment of anxiety. Because of the potentially serious Stelazine side effects, it should be used only when other anxiety medications have failed or cannot be taken for various reasons. When taken for anxiety, Stelazine should not be taken at doses higher than 6 mg a day or for more than 12 weeks.