Schizophrenia Home > Trilafon and Dry Mouth
Side effects are possible with Trilafon, and dry mouth is one of the more common ones. To relive this, you can try sipping water or sugarless drinks often, using a humidifier at night, and avoiding alcohol, tobacco, and caffeinated beverages. If you continue to experience dry mouth with Trilafon, your healthcare provider may recommend artificial saliva or a different medication.
Does Trilafon Cause a Dry Mouth?Trilafon® (perphenazine) is a prescription medicine used to treat schizophrenia and severe nausea and vomiting. As with other medicines, it can cause side effects. One of these possible side effects of Trilafon is a dry mouth.
Trilafon and Dry Mouth: RecommendationsIf you are taking Trilafon and dry mouth becomes a problem, there are a number of things that you can do. Some of these suggestions include:
- Sip water or sugarless drinks often.
- Sip water or sugarless drinks during meals. This will make chewing and swallowing easier. It may also improve the taste of food.
- Avoid drinks with caffeine, such as coffee, tea, and some sodas. Caffeine can dry out the mouth.
- Avoid tobacco or alcohol; they dry out the mouth.
- Use a humidifier at night.
- Be aware that spicy or salty foods may cause pain in a dry mouth.
- Chew sugarless gum or suck on sugarless hard candy to stimulate saliva flow; cinnamon- or mint-flavored candies are good choices.