The recommended dose of Moban for those who are first beginning treatment for schizophrenia is 50 to 75 mg a day, taken in two or three smaller doses. If bothersome side effects occur, or if symptoms of schizophrenia cannot be adequately controlled with Moban, dosing can be increased or decreased by your healthcare provider as needed.
As of January 2010, the manufacturer of Moban has decided to stop making this medication. It is predicted that all current supplies will be depleted by June 2010. All people taking Moban should talk with their healthcare providers immediately about switching to a different medication.
The dose of Moban® (molindone hydrochloride) that your healthcare provider recommends will vary, depending on a number of factors, including:
- Other medical conditions you may have
- Other medications you may be currently taking
- The severity of your schizophrenia.
As always, do not adjust your Moban dose unless your healthcare provider specifically instructs you to do so.
Moban Dosage for SchizophreniaThe recommended starting dose of Moban for schizophrenia is 50 to 75 mg total per day (taken in two or three smaller doses). In three to four days, your healthcare provider may increase your dose up to 100 mg per day (taken in three or four smaller doses). After that, your healthcare provider may adjust your dose as necessary, increasing it in order to control your schizophrenia symptoms or decreasing it if you develop bothersome or serious Moban side effects.
Considerations for people taking Moban include the following:
- The medication comes in tablet form. It is usually taken by mouth two to four times a day.
- You can take Moban with or without food. If the medication bothers your stomach, try taking it with food.
- Moban should be taken at the same times each day to maintain an even level in your blood.
- If you are unsure about anything related to your Moban dosage, please talk with your doctor, nurse, or pharmacist. Do not stop taking the drug without first discussing it with your healthcare provider.