Navane and Dry Mouth
Dry mouth is a possible side effect of Navane; but there are several things you can do to minimize this side effect. For example, avoiding tobacco, alcohol, and drinks with caffeine may provide some relief. If you are taking Navane and dry mouth continues to be a problem, be sure to consult your healthcare provider.
Does Navane Cause a Dry Mouth?Navane® (thiothixene) is a prescription medicine used to treat schizophrenia. It is part of a group of medications called typical (or first-generation) antipsychotics. Like other medicines, it can cause side effects. One of these possible side effects of Navane is a dry mouth.
Recommendations for Navane and Dry MouthIf you are taking Navane and dry mouth becomes a problem, there are a number of things that you can do. Some of these suggestions include:
- Avoiding drinks with caffeine, such as coffee, tea, and some sodas. Caffeine can dry out the mouth.
- Avoiding tobacco or alcohol. They dry out the mouth.
- Using a humidifier at night.
- Being aware that spicy or salty foods may cause pain in a dry mouth.
- Chewing sugarless gum or sucking on sugarless hard candy to stimulate saliva flow; cinnamon- or mint-flavored candies are good choices.
- Sipping water or sugarless drinks often.
- Sipping water or sugarless drinks during meals. This will make chewing and swallowing easier. It may also improve the taste of food.
If you have a dry mouth while taking Navane and the suggestions above do not help, make sure to talk with your healthcare provider. There is treatment that he or she may be able to recommend, such as artificial saliva. Also, depending on how severe your Navane dry mouth side effects are, he or she may also recommend that you adjust your Navane dosage or try another schizophrenia medication.