Risperdal and Insomnia
Clinical studies involving Risperdal and insomnia have shown that up to 26 percent of people taking the medication reported insomnia as a side effect. However, up to 19 percent of those not taking Risperdal also experienced insomnia. This makes it difficult to determine if Risperdal or other factors cause insomnia. There are some things you can try to improve your sleep habits, such as keeping a regular sleep-wake cycle and avoiding caffeine in the four to six hours before bedtime.
Risperdal and Insomnia: An IntroductionInsomnia is one of the more common side effects of Risperdal® (risperidone). Studies have shown that up to 26 percent of people reported insomnia as one of Risperdal's side effects. However, it is important to understand that in these studies, up to 19 percent of those not taking Risperdal also experienced insomnia.
What Is Insomnia?People with insomnia have one or more of the following symptoms:
- Difficulty falling asleep
- Waking up often during the night and having trouble going back to sleep
- Waking up too early in the morning
- Unrefreshing sleep.
Risperdal and Insomnia: SuggestionsSome people taking Risperdal find that improving their sleep habits can be an effective insomnia cure. Some tips for better sleep include:
- Keeping a regular sleep-wake cycle. Try to go to bed and wake up at the same time every day.
- Avoiding caffeine, alcohol, and nicotine in the four to six hours before bedtime.
- Refraining from exercise within two hours of bedtime. Exercising five or six hours before bedtime may help you sleep more soundly.
- Avoiding large meals within two hours of bedtime.
- Refraining from taking a nap later than 3 p.m.
- Sleeping in a dark, quiet room at a comfortable temperature.
- Doing a quiet activity somewhere else if you can't fall asleep within 20 minutes, and returning to bed when you're sleepy.
- Winding down in the 30 minutes before bedtime with a relaxing pre-sleep ritual, such as a warm bath, soft music, or reading.
(Click Good Sleep Habits for more suggestions.)