Risperdal Side Effects
Although most people tolerate Risperdal well, there are potential side effects that can occur. Some of the most common side effects can include drowsiness, an increased appetite, and upper respiratory tract infections. In most cases, the side effects of Risperdal are minor and can easily be treated. However, be sure to notify your healthcare provider right away if you develop more serious side effects, such as rapid weight gain, a fast heart rate, or thoughts of suicide.
As with any medicine, there are possible side effects with Risperdal® (risperidone). However, not everyone who takes Risperdal will have problems. In fact, most people tolerate the medication well. When side effects do occur, in most cases they are minor and either require no treatment or are easily treated by you or your healthcare provider.
(This article covers many, but not all, of the possible side effects with Risperdal. Your healthcare provider can discuss a more complete list of Risperdal side effects with you.)
Risperdal has been studied thoroughly in clinical trials. In these studies, the side effects that occur in a group of people taking the drug are documented and are then compared to the side effects that occur in another group of people not taking the medicine. As a result, it is possible to see what side effects occur, how often they appear, and how they compare to the group not taking the medicine.
In these studies, the most common side effects of Risperdal included:
- Drowsiness -- in up to 67 percent of people
- An increased appetite -- up to 49 percent
- Upper respiratory tract infections, such as the common cold -- up to 34 percent
Fatigue -- in up to 30 percent
- Insomnia -- up to 26 percent (see Risperdal and Insomnia)
- Agitation -- up to 26 percent
- Increased salivation -- up to 22 percent
- Anxiety -- up to 20 percent
Abdominal pain (stomach pain) -- up to 18 percent
Heartburn or indigestion -- up to 16 percent
Nausea -- up to 16 percent
Dizziness -- up to 16 percent.
Some of the other common side effects (occurring in 1 to 13 percent of people) included:
- Constipation or diarrhea
- Dry mouth (see Risperdal and Dry Mouth)
- Indigestion or heartburn
- An irritated or runny nose
- A sore throat
- Vision changes
- Problems with bladder control
- Muscle pain, chest pain, joint pain, or back pain
- Weight gain (see Risperdal and Weight Gain)
- Sinus infections
- Dry skin
- Confusion or decreased concentration
- Sexual problems (see Risperdal Sexual Side Effects)