People who take too much Saphris (asenapine) can expect to experience the usual side effects, although perhaps more severely. Possible symptoms of an overdose include uncontrollable body movements, extreme drowsiness, and a decrease in blood pressure. Treatment for this type of overdose likely will involve medications to correct heart rate and blood pressure, as well as IV fluids.
Can You Take Too Much Saphris?Saphris® (asenapine) is a prescription medication approved to treat bipolar disorder and schizophrenia. As with most medications, it is theoretically possible to take too much Saphris.
The specific effects of a Saphris overdose could be dangerous, but would vary, depending on a number of factors, including the Saphris dosage and whether it was taken with any other medications or substances.
Effects of an OverdoseDuring clinical studies, a few cases of accidental or intentional overdose were reported. In these cases, effects of the Saphris overdose included agitation and confusion. Of course, an overdose would also be likely to cause any of the usual side effects. Specifically, some of the Saphris side effects that might occur include, but are not limited to:
- A change in the heart rhythm that could be potentially dangerous, although no dangerous problems occurred in clinical studies
- Extrapyramidal symptoms, such as uncontrollable body movements or muscle contractions
- Low blood pressure.
Treating a Saphris OverdoseThere is no specific antidote for an overdose with Saphris. Therefore, treatment likely will involve supportive care, which might include:
- Monitoring of the heart using an electrocardiogram (ECG)
- Giving medications to correct an irregular heart rhythm
- Giving IV fluids and medications to increase blood pressure
- Giving medications to treat severe extrapyramidal symptoms.
It is important that you seek medical attention immediately if you believe that you or someone else may have taken too much Saphris.