Does Trilafon Cause a Dry Mouth?
) is a prescription medicine used to treat schizophrenia
and severe nausea and vomiting. As with other medicines, it can cause side effects. One of these possible side effects of Trilafon is a dry mouth.
Trilafon and Dry Mouth: Recommendations
If you are taking Trilafon and dry mouth becomes a problem, there are a number of things that you can do. Some of these suggestions include:
- Sip water or sugarless drinks often.
- Sip water or sugarless drinks during meals. This will make chewing and swallowing easier. It may also improve the taste of food.
- Avoid drinks with caffeine, such as coffee, tea, and some sodas. Caffeine can dry out the mouth.
- Avoid tobacco or alcohol; they dry out the mouth.
- Use a humidifier at night.
- Be aware that spicy or salty foods may cause pain in a dry mouth.
- Chew sugarless gum or suck on sugarless hard candy to stimulate saliva flow; cinnamon- or mint-flavored candies are good choices.
Trilafon and Dry Mouth: Final Thoughts
If you have a dry mouth while taking Trilafon and the suggestions listed in this article do not help, talk with your healthcare provider. He or she may be able to recommend other treatments, such as artificial saliva. Also, depending on the severity of your dry mouth, he or she may recommend that you adjust your Trilafon dosage
or try another medication for nausea and vomiting or schizophrenia.