The recommended Trilafon dosage when beginning treatment for schizophrenia is 4 mg to 8 mg three times daily. Your healthcare provider usually will quickly lower the dosage once the symptoms are under control. For severe nausea and vomiting, the recommended dose is 8 mg to 16 mg per day (divided into two or more smaller doses). This Trilafon dosage should also be quickly reduced once your symptoms are under control.
Trilafon Dosage: An IntroductionThe dose of Trilafon® (perphenazine) that your healthcare provider recommends will vary, depending on a number of factors, including:
- The medical condition being treated
- Other medical conditions you may have
- Other medications you may be currently taking.
As always, do not adjust your Trilafon dose unless your healthcare provider specifically instructs you to do so.
Trilafon Dosage for SchizophreniaThe recommended starting dose of Trilafon for schizophrenia is Trilafon 4 mg to 8 mg three times daily (although people under medical supervision in a hospital may start at higher dosages). Ideally, your healthcare provider will quickly lower your Trilafon dose once your symptoms are under control.
Trilafon Dosage for Nausea and VomitingThe recommended dose of Trilafon for severe nausea and vomiting is Trilafon 8 mg to 16 mg total per day (split up into two or more smaller doses). Some people may need a higher dose to control their nausea and vomiting initially (up to 24 mg per day), but the dose should quickly be reduced if possible.
General Information on Dosing With TrilafonConsiderations for people taking Trilafon include the following:
- The medication comes in tablet form. It is usually taken by mouth two to four times a day.
- You can take Trilafon with or without food. If the medication bothers your stomach, try taking it with food.
- Trilafon should be taken at the same times each day to maintain an even level in your blood.
- For the medication to work properly, it must be taken as prescribed. Trilafon will not work if you stop taking it.
- If you are unsure about anything related to Trilafon or your Trilafon dosage, talk with your doctor, nurse, or pharmacist. Do not stop taking the drug without first discussing it with your healthcare provider (see Trilafon Withdrawal).