Zyprexa Relprevv Dosage
When determining your dosage of Zyprexa Relprevv, your healthcare provider will consider the medications you are taking, other medical conditions you may have, and various other considerations. Zyprexa Relprevv comes as a powder that is mixed with liquid to make a suspension. It is injected into the gluteal muscle every two to four weeks by a healthcare provider.
The dosage of Zyprexa® Relprevv™ (olanzapine extended-release injection) your healthcare provider recommends will vary, depending on a number of factors, including:
- How you respond to the medication
- The dose of olanzapine you have been taking
- Other medical conditions you may have
- Other medications you are taking.
As is always the case, do not adjust your dosage unless your healthcare provider specifically tells you to do so.
Zyprexa Relprevv contains olanzapine (Zyprexa®) and should only be used in people who have tolerated oral olanzapine. Your initial Zyprexa Relprevv dosage will depend, in part, on what your healthcare provider determines is your target oral olanzapine dosage, as follows:
- If your target oral olanzapine dosage is 10 mg a day, the recommended starting Zyprexa Relprevv dosage is 210 mg every 2 weeks or 405 mg every 4 weeks for 8 weeks.
- If your target oral olanzapine dosage is 15 mg a day or 30 mg a day, the recommended starting Zyprexa Relprevv dosage is 300 mg every 2 weeks for 8 weeks.
- In some cases, a healthcare provider may recommend a lower starting dose of Zyprexa Relprevv 150 mg every two weeks for certain people who may not tolerate a higher dose.
After eight weeks of treatment, you will usually be switched to a maintenance dose. In many cases, the maintenance dose will be slightly lower than the initial amount you were given. Recommended Zyprexa Relprevv maintenance doses are still based on your target oral olanzapine dose as follows:
- If your target oral olanzapine dosage is 10 mg a day, the recommended maintenance Zyprexa Relprevv dosage is 150 mg every 2 weeks or 300 mg every 4 weeks.
- If your target oral olanzapine dose is 15 mg a day, the recommended maintenance Zyprexa Relprevv dose is 210 mg every 2 weeks or 405 mg every 4 weeks.
- If your target oral olanzapine dose is 20 mg a day, the recommended maintenance Zyprexa Relprevv dose is 300 mg every 2 weeks.
Zyprexa Relprevv can cause a serious side effect known as post-injection delirium sedation syndrome. This side effect usually occurs within the first three hours after receiving a dose, and can happen after any dose. Therefore, you must stay at the healthcare facility where you receive your injection, so you can be closely monitored, for at least three hours after each injection.
Once you are able to leave the healthcare facility, someone must go with you. You should not drive, operate heavy machinery, or do anything else that requires mental alertness for the remainder of the day. You should also seek medical care if you experience any symptoms of post-injection delirium sedation syndrome, such as: