Some general considerations to keep in mind during treatment with Zyprexa Relprevv include the following:
- This medication comes as a powder that is mixed with liquid to form a suspension (liquid). It is given as an injection into the muscle of the buttocks (the gluteal muscle) every two to four weeks.
- You will receive your injection by a trained healthcare provider in a healthcare setting, such as an office or clinic.
- Your healthcare provider will need to monitor you for at least three hours after you receive your dose to make sure you do not develop a potentially serious reaction to the medicine. When you are able to leave the clinic, someone must be with you.
- You should only receive this medicine if you have taken and were able to tolerate oral olanzapine (Zyprexa®).
- For this drug to work properly, it must be used as prescribed. Your symptoms may return if you stop using this medication or miss a dose.
The dose your healthcare provider recommends will vary, depending on a number of factors, including:
- How you respond to the medication
- The dose of olanzapine you have been taking
- Other medical conditions you may have
- Other medications you are taking.
As is always the case, do not adjust your dosage unless your healthcare provider specifically tells you to do so.
(Click Zyprexa Relprevv Dosage for more information.)